Winter can wreck havoc on your skin. Whipping winds, dry air, and chilly temps can really do a number on soft skin and hair. Cold air outside and central heat indoors can strip moisture from strands and pores, making hair rough and skin itchy and dry.
1)Cleanse…without stripping your skin.– A little exfoliation speeds skin turnover, helping both to trigger a natural repair process and to build Collagen and Elastin.And use exfoliators or scrubs to get the dead skin off periodically; that helps any moisturizers you use to sink in faster and deeper. 🙂
If there was ever a time to use gentle cleansers, it’s winter. Look for cleansers with natural oils, like green tea oil, in their list of ingredients so you can cleanse and lubricate simultaneously. Let go of your need for “squeaky clean” skin because cleansers with harsh sudsing agents ultimately do more damage than good, stripping your skin of its environmental protective barrier.
- Clean and clear berry blast face wash
- Avene cleanance gel
- Ponds daily face wash
- Himalaya Herbals Moisturizing Aloe Vera gel face wash
- Plum Green Tea Pore Cleansing Face Wash
- The Body Shop Chamomile Cleansing Oil (oil based face wash)
Himalaya Herbals Purifying Neem Scrub
2)Tone-Toning is really necessary while your skin is still damp after bathing or scrubbing or cleansing your face….Toners essentially prevent the loss of moisture from your face and prevents it from forming fine lines
i usually use Kama Ayurveda Pure Rose Water or sometimes dabar gulbari Rose water.
Other toner that can be used –
- Organic harvest green cucumber toner
- Avene Thermal Spring Water
- Kaya Purifying Toner
3)Use a sunscreen
People like to enjoy the sun during winter but little do they know that exposure to the sun can hasten ageing. Therefore, one must use a sunscreen 15 minutes before going out in order to allow the skin to absorb it.[ sunscreen should always be used before moisturizers]
Just because the sun isn’t out as long during winter, doesn’t mean you can take a sunscreen break. Always choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen that protects you from both UVA and UVB rays.Sunscreens with zinc oxide do an especially good job of repelling rays before they can enter the skin and wreak havoc. Wear sunscreen every day, from dawn to dusk, rain or shine, in hot or cold weather.
4)Moisturizing More– You may have found a moisturizer that works just fine in spring and summer. But as weather conditions change, so, too, should your skin care routine.
Find an “ointment” moisturizer that’s oil-based, rather than water-based, as the oil will create a protective layer on the skin that retains more moisture than a cream or lotion. (Hint: Many lotions labeled as “night creams” are oil-based.)
Facial moisturisers ,body lotions and body butter are a must for winters-
- Pond’s moisturing lotion( i just love the smell of it)-CHECK OUT MY REVIEW HERE
- Za perfect solution Moisturizer( its very thin & light in consisteny)
- Vaseline Body lotion
- Nivea creme
- Nivea soft cream
- Nivea smooth body milk lotion
- La Roche-Posay Toleriane Hydrating Protective Care
- Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cream
Kama Ayurveda Kokum And Almond Body Butter
Using Facial oils and serum,instead of moisturisers ..is also an option.But choose your oils with care because not all oils are appropriate for the face. Instead, look for “nonclogging” oils, like avocado oil, mineral oil, primrose oil, or almond oil.I usually use facial oils as night moisturizer.
During winters we often tend to drink less of water so keeeping our skin extra-hydrated facial oils can be used.Oil can actually helps in balancing the oil content of your skin be it any skin From NORMAL to COMBINATION to Oily skin. 🙂 Oils which i prefer using is-
- The Body Shop Oils of Life Facial Oil
- Soultree cold-pressed olive oil
- figaro olive oil
- Just Herbs Rejuvenating Beauty ELIXIR Facial Serum
TIP TO REMEMBER- For winters,always use a toner with no alcohol, and masks that are “deeply hydrating.
Keeping a tube of lip balm in an easily accessible pocket is a good first step, but winter winds can take chapped lips to a whole new level. If lips are flaky, take a clean toothbrush and very gently exfoliate the skin to remove excess skin.
For seriously dry lips, apply honey or Vaseline for 15 minutes and then remove with a cotton swab dipped in hot water.
LIPBALMS are a must-have for everyone.Some of them which are quite good are-
- Nivea lipbalm: rose
- Nivea Essential Care-Lip Balm
- Maybelline Baby lips (this lip balm has quite a range …& my favorites)-CHECK OUT MY REVIEW HERE & HERE
- Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Lip Moisturizer
- Nivea Lip Butter – Blueberry Blush
- Vaseline Lip Therapy – Rosy Lips
- nivea hydro care
- BURT’S BEES REPLENISHING LIP BALM WITH POMEGRANATE OIL
- BURT’S BEES BEESWAX LIP BALM(all time essential)
- VASELINE can also do the trick if you don’t have any lipbalms. 🙂
HANDCARE AND FOOTCARE–
it’s bad enough to have freezing digits, but cracked and painful skin on the hands is the icing on the cake. To prevent hands from drying out, apply moisturizer after hand washing and at least several times throughout the day. Keep a bottle of lotion by each sink in your home and in your desk at work. If hands are very dry, use cream instead of lotion because the former has a higher oil-to-water ratio.
Wearing rubber gloves while washing dishes can prevent hands from getting dried out due to excess contact with hot water too. To really rehab the skin on hands, use very thick hand cream right before bed and then slip on cotton gloves—the enclosed space will help the moisturizer absorb into the skin.(same routine goes for foot ).Me being a dental intern by profession …i tend to keep a handcream always with me….as working throughout the day is daily routine for me.
USE HANDCREAMS or FOOTCREAMS ,if necessary like-
- Fabindia Lemon Intensive Hand Cream
- Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream
- The body shop hand cream (it comes in many varients…which i absolutely love)
- Dermalogica Age Smart Multivitamin Hand And Nail Treatment
- Natio Spa Heavenly Hand Cream
- L’Occitane Lavender Hand Cream
Tip- Wear gloves on hand and socks on feet after cleaning it and applying moisturizer or cream or body lotion ….for supple,soft and smooth skin in the morning.